I have a phrase hanging in my kitchen that reads: “Love People. Cook them Tasty Food.” If you know me at all, you know for the most part, I despise cute little “sayings” emblazoned on plaques, pictures, pillows or most any décor. But for some reason, this saying rings true to me. Both my husband and I like to cook, and so of course, Thanksgiving is always a big day at our house. As much as I enjoy trying out new recipes (i.e., Ina Garten’s Maple Roasted Carrot Salad!) I know that tradition prevails, and lest we risk outright mutiny, in addition to turkey, we will serve green bean casserole, sweet potatoes and scalloped corn (the latter, a twist made with cream cheese and jalapeno peppers.) If you like throwing in the occasional surprise element, too, following are a couple of Thanksgiving “extras” your guests shouldn’t find too objectionable….as long as there’s still pumpkin pie.
CARAMEL CHOCOLATE ACORNS
• 35 Mins
• Makes 50
• 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
• 50 mini Nilla wafer cookies
• 50 caramel filled, milk chocolate Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
• 50 mini chocolate chips
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate chips in the microwave for about 45 seconds; stir until smooth. Continue microwaving in 15 second intervals, if necessary. Using a spatula, transfer melted chocolate to a small Ziploc bag; snip off a tiny corner.
3. Pipe a small amount of the chocolate onto the flat side of each cookie and immediately press a Hershey’s kiss on top to attach it. Place on the prepared baking sheet, cookie side down, and repeat with the remaining cookies and kisses; place in the freezer for 5 minutes to set.
4. Pipe a smidge of the melted chocolate onto a mini chocolate chip and attach it to the top of the wafer to create the stem.
5. Place back onto the baking sheet until all the acorns are finished. Freeze for another 5 minutes to set completely.
CHOCOLATE TURTLE APPLE SLICES
• 30 Mins
• Makes 10-12
• 2 very large Fuji apples
• 3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 cup caramels, melted
• Chopped pecans
• Popsicle sticks
1. Slice apples into 1/2″ pieces. With a knife make a little slit in the bottom of each apple slice to make it easier to insert a popsicle stick.
2. Melt chips in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.* Stir in coconut oil until smooth. Dip apple slices in chocolate and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
3. Place caramels in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 45-60 seconds.* Do NOT overheat. Stir until smooth.
4. Drizzle melted caramel over chocolate and sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Serve and enjoy immediately. Apples are best the first day. Store in refrigerator.
*For best results, follow the chocolate chip package instructions for melting chocolate and same for caramel.
Note: If you’re concerned about biting into an apple seed, just remove them before dipping the apple slice in chocolate.
• 1 half gallon pressed apple cider
• 2 oranges
• 15 cloves (count ’em out)
• 15 allspice berries
• 7 pods of cardamon
• 4 sticks of cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1. Combine cider, 1 orange (sliced), and spices in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer (covered) for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Strain cider into a large pitcher.
4. While you are waiting for the cider to cool, cut the remaining orange into slices (to use for garnish.)
Can be served warm as-is or served cooled (with spiced rum or brandy for the adults) with an orange slice and cinnamon stick garnish.
TURKEY PRETZEL TREATS
• Candy Corn
• Reese’s Pieces
• Candy Eyes
1. On a sheet tray lined with parchment paper lay your pretzels with the salted side down.
2. Place three candy corns on the single round end. Gently lay an unwrapped Rolo on top of the candy corns.
3. Place the tray in the oven until the Rolos are soft, 2 minutes.
4. Apply 2 candy eyes and a Reese’s piece for the beak.
5. Allow to cool and chocolate to harden.
PHOTOS by Liza Goncharova @ CRASH-SUES
All of us at CRASH+SUES with you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
CRASH+SUES provides strategic storytelling and video services to ad agencies, businesses and film companies seeking to create meaningful connections with their customers and employees. We’re masters of ideation, design, live action video production, animation and color, delivering compelling content that engages, entertains and educates. Call us what you want – a hybrid agency, a creative boutique, a production studio, digital daredevils, or… just call us. We’ll help you cut through the noise. Visit CRASH+SUES