So You Got the Internship – Now What?
Recently, we said goodbye to an intern I’ll not soon forget. Had our need been greater (and our pocketbooks deeper) it’s likely a job offer might have ensued. What separated her for the rest? She didn’t wait to be told what to do. Ninety percent of the time, she didn’t even ask — she just DID. She took notes in meetings, typed them up and sent them out. She offered to pick up office supplies, deliver drives to clients, and run endless errands…. on foot. Never mind it was 20 below. She wrote articles for our newsletter, which led me to assign her actual client-related writing tasks. She volunteered to do research on companies that were on our radar to target. She even took on the unglamorous tasks – cleaning up after client lunches and unloading the dishwasher when it as full. Nothing was below her, and as I delightfully discovered…. nothing was beyond her.
Here are some tips to keep in mind after you land an internship:
1) Be on time. It’s a job whether you’re getting paid or not.
2) Be proactive. Each day, do something without first being told to do it.
3) Network. Ask someone to lunch to find out how they started in the business. Join the bowling team.
4) Strive to do your best with a great attitude – even if assigned a mundane task.
5) Offer ideas. Businesses love interns because they offer a fresh perspective. Speak up. Participate in meetings.
Your internship may or may not lead to a job. But if you follow these tips, you can be sure your name will be top-of-mind when an opportunity does arise.
Do you have thoughts on what makes a great intern? Please share your ideas here!